Yesterday, I watched Enchanted on DVD three times: twice with my kids, and one more time when my husband arrived. It's that enchanting! The movie actually begins with animated fairytale scenes of Giselle, a girl who is about to be married to a prince, when she is suddenly banished by the disapproving queen/stepmother to the real world where there aren't any "happy ever afters."
Amy Adams (who plays Giselle) retains her animated characteristics even while in downtown Manhattan, and is quite impressive with her acting and singing. It actually puts her in the same league as Julie Andrews, Audrey Hepburn, Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Nicole Kidman (I'm sure you know which movies I'm referring to).
James Marsden (Prince Edward) portrays his role as innocent, narcissistic prince ever so brilliantly, and it is no wonder that he again plays the good guy who never gets the girl in the end (as in The Notebook and Superman Returns). It is a relief, though, that he does get his own happy ending in this movie.
Patrick Dempsey (as lawyer and single father, Robert Philip, whom Giselle eventually falls in love with in NY) earns plus points as well for keeping his character grounded but funny and dreamy at the same time.
I am no longer suprised that Enchanted got three nominated songs at the Oscars (it's a shame none of them won). Alan Menken (composer) and Stephen Schwartz (lyricist) do their thing exceptionally well again just as they did with Disney movies in the past. And the execution of and choreography for each song are flawless, you almost want to burst into song yourself.
Enchanted is a combination of every delightful Disney fairytale ever made (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, and Beauty & the Beast), and it leaves us wishing that someday we could have our own real "happy ever after" too. But for those of us who already have our happy endings, well, this movie can only add more sugar and spice to our love lives.
Five stars for being the funniest, most whimsical, most romantic musical film we've ever seen during the past year. I'll have to organize another sleepover for my Narnian Queens again -- I'm sure they're gonna love this!

No comments:
Post a Comment