Sunday, December 7, 2008

Movie Buff: High School Musical 3 Senior Year

I loved everything about HSM 1; HSM 2 not so much with the storyline although the choreography was still superb; but HSM 3 was just the perfect wrap-up for the whole HSM franchise. The storyline was good, the songs were great, the costumes and set design did not disappoint, and the choreography was just amazing and flawlessly executed as usual.

My personal favorites are "The Boys are Back" and "Can I Have This Dance?" I am in awe with Kenny Ortega's direction and choreography, together with his team Bonnie Story and Charles Klapow. There are only four movies I recall that had the same impressive choreography -- and that's Chicago, Moulin Rouge, Hairspray, and Enchanted.

And as a parent, I very much appreciate that they made sure there is no profanity, no alcohol/smoking/drugs, no sex/nudity/homosexuality, and no violence in this film, including the previous ones. Although I would like a bit of a positive progression in Sharpay's character throughout the three movies, I still love her. She's just hilarious.

This is the kind of film that you would wish you had seen when you were in high school -- it sort of gives me a longing for my old Sci-Hi *sigh* But then again, this generation didn't have Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Cutting Edge either, so I think that's fair enough :)

I'm definitely buying the HSM trilogy when it comes out on DVD. And here's hoping that there's still another sequel -- High School Musical: The Reunion perhaps? That would be sweet.

No comments: