Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thanksgiving List

A few weeks ago, I was feeling a bit nostalgic. I had spent an afternoon with my nephew at Postrio, having coffee and pastry, and while spending time with him, I remembered all the people who have made an impact on my 32-year existence here on earth. The thing that I was feeling melancholic about was that I have never thanked these people personally for being there for me at certain points in my life when I needed them the most.


Consider this my thanksgiving list as the year 2008 ends and 2009 begins -- my tribute to the men and women who really matter to me because I mattered to them.


MY MOM. The one person who endured pain from hours of active labor on her 35th birthday just so I could come out into this world alive and healthy. For the many hugs she greets me with when I come home from school, and for all the delicious snacks and meals she prepares for us since then up to now. And for the many hours she spends with my kids whenever I'm busy or need a bit of rest. Until now, she hasn't ceased to be my mother.


MY DAD. For writing me all those letters and postcards during those months he was out of the country. For the music tapes from Indonesia, the jewelry from Singapore, and the endless supply of souvenir shirts from Malaysia, Hongkong, Tanzania, Fiji, Maldives, and the US. For helping me with my science investigatory project, and even making my valedictory speech while he was in Bali. For working so hard so that we could live a comfortable life. And for giving me away to my groom when I was 21 although he expected me to get married to some prince in a faraway land hahaha (he did give me away to my real flesh-and-blood prince).


BENBEN. The brother I love dearly, though he's far away. For the many chats we have on Skype, and the many balikbayan boxes he sends. I know that whatever happens, you will always love me hahaha, and if someday I become insane, I'm assured that you'll be my psychiatrist free of charge. I love you always.


GAY. The one who inspires me to get on the exercise machine every day, and to choose the salad instead of the steak! For giving birth to my adorable nephew, Benjamin, and sweetie pie niece, Arielle. I await the day that I'll see all of you again :)


MY ONLY SISTER, GINGGING. For bugging my mom and dad for a baby sister (which at some point in her life she regretted hehehe). She shared the Four Laws of Life with me on May 29, 1986 -- for that I am truly grateful. For bringing me to all the kids and youth camps so that I would enjoy life and be socially balanced, and for listening to me whenever I needed an ear to hear. For loving and teaching my children whenever she's home from China. I will never regret having her as a sister.


BENSIE. Need I say more? I've dedicated a blog to him already! Read that. I love Bensie.


MHIL. 'Day, thank you for helping me through my Science High entrance exam. For adding an 11th chair to the 10 chairs during the interview so I could get in quickly hahaha. For being one of my best friends, crying with me through the tough times. For the joy you've brought to my life and the lessons you taught me along the way. For loving Bensie, your kids, and my kids. The journey has been worthwhile because you were there.


ATE INDAY. For being a fixture in my life since I was nine. For the date at Cebu Midtown Hotel when I was 14, where I had my first taste of smoked salmon (I didn't like it, but with that view high up, I didn't care!). For that nice talk in the old library about marriage. And for the date at Wendy's when I was 18 -- I had bacon mushroom melt and she had baked potato. For being a loving sister-in-law (and mother-in-law I never had). For loving my children. There will never be another pastor's wife as responsible and cheerful and caring as you are.


PASTOR BOY. Again, another fixture in my life. I remember the afternoon he spent talking to me and Dobz on the second floor of MCS about love, courtship, and marriage. Whose own love story with Ate Inday served as an inspiration to us. Thank you for officiating our wedding! And for being Mia's favorite Uncle Pastor. I will and forever will be one of Pastor Boy's Angels.


THE BAUTISTA FAMILY, who have accepted me with arms wide open. It is a joy to know that I am part of your beautiful family. I am so blessed to have in-laws who are as loving and generous as you are. May God bless you more.


MOMMY JOY. Our ninang because she is such a mother to us. Her passion is endearing, inspiring, and contagious. When you need to talk, she is there to listen. Mealtimes, coffee breaks, and just about any occasion with her and KUYA MANNY are always fun and interesting -- one of life's many pleasures.


MY MCBC CHURCH FAMILY. I grew up here with some of the loveliest people in the world -- The Rios family, the Gumban's, the Alfafara's, the Caintic's, the Liberato's, the Dilla's, the Ballesteros family, Toshi, Martin, Teacher Ann, Noami, and a lot more. They are not just my support group. They are my home.


DOBZ. My life would be boring without Dobz. Anything could be fun sa long as she's there. Thank you for spending those nights in my house, listening to my woes and blues, cheering me on, and being the ray of sunshine that you are. And thank you for the many cups of delicious coffee you prepare for me without any complaints. Whenever I eat shanghai lumpia with hot tea in Brutus, I will always remember you.


ATE KHITT. For all the goosebumps and duckcrumbs you have showered on my life, for the encouragement, the laughter, and the bloopers in between. Thank you for all the treats to the movies and restaurants when I was still a penniless teenager hahaha. And for being such a blessing.


ATE MHAY. You are evidence that age doesn't matter when it comes to friendships. My counselor, my confidante, my mother in many ways. Thank you for listening to me, not giving up on me, and being one of the many people who rejoiced with me when I walked down the aisle. You are far away in Beulah Land, but I shall not forget how much you mean to me.


TOTO WILLIAM. For spending hours and hours with me on the phone when I was 17 just so I could sort my feelings with Doy. We would talk from 10pm to 2am until my ears would get hot from holding the receiver. For giving me hope when I thought I didn't have any. For being the best man at our wedding day, and Doy's best friend until now. And for DEL, for being the love of his life. You two are living proof that it pays to wait for the right person to come along -- and that when you finally find the one, three months is enough to know you ought to get married! I thank God for giving you two beautiful children, 11 beautiful years together, and a happily ever after you so deserve.


BEBIE, whom I will always fondly call Darling. For all the happy moments, the laughter; for lifting me up whenever I was down. For being on my side when other people were not. For the best leche flan I have ever tasted in my whole life. For being the only person who helped me move into our apartment when I was six months heavy with Miguel. For being so strong and cheerful even when the Big C took your last breath. Thank you, Darling. I will see you in heaven one sweet day.


GLENDA. When I was 10 years old, she adopted me as her little sister. We shared chicken-and-egg sandwiches, mango shakes, and French fries from Orange Brutus. For making me live an exciting life, what with all the late phone calls, the crushes, the gimmicks, the fun. Though you are far away in New Zealand, I will always remember you.


MAGIE. For spending overnights in my house and listening to all my adolescent blabbering. For sounding enthusiastic even though now I realize I was such a bore! For listening to me sing Helloby Odette Quesada and all the sob stories that went with it hehe. For making me your little sister, and for all the fun times. Texas is far away, but we'll have a grand reunion someday together with DADDY RJ :)


ANELFA & KUYA GERRY. For being such happy inspirations to Ondoy and I. To Anelfa for the encouraging article you gave me as I was entering high school. For your support when I was but a 17-year-old camp director who didn't know much about anything. I will always be grateful to Kuya Gerry, Ondoy, and Jonjon for fixing the bathrooms in the campsite!


MY SCIENCE HIGH CLASSMATES. For Mercy, the first friend I made in Sci-Hi. For Kathleen, Faith, Iris, Clingcling, and Jill Ann -- my closest friends in 1st Year. My best friend in 2nd year, Weng. For Therese and Grems -- my chums in 3rd year. And my barkada in 3rd and 4th years -- Grace, Yves, Jean, Claire, Olivet, Zetty, Cying, and Vince. For Bryan, who was such a good friend. And for James, whom I passed notes with in class, and who is my friend till now (although somehow he has replaced me with my husband ahahaha). High school was simply among the four best years in my life because of you and what we've been through.


MY UP CEBU CLASSMATES. For Bambam, who cried with me while watching the movie Up Close and Personal because I was missing Doy terribly; and my inspiration for learning how to drive at 18. For Carla, who remains the sweetest college classmate I have ever had until now, and whose life is a real blessing to me. I survived UP with you!


ALAMETH. For the joy I derive from all the innocent conversations I have with her. She is a delightful friend to be with. Though you are just a year younger than me, watching you bloom into the person that you are is truly exciting. Something tells me that you will make a great pastor's wife someday :)


MY MULTIPLY FRIENDS (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE). Each day is meaningful and special because I know you're there to listen and inspire. Each photo, each poem, each blog -- they are byproducts of the natural beauty that comes from within you. Thank you for seizing each day with me.


MY NARNIAN QUEENS, who have considered me their friend and mentor. They make me feel alive and youthful again. As you learn from me, I learn from you as well. I am so proud of you! Your commitment and faithfulness is truly an inspiration.


MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN, MIGUEL AND MIA. Two of my greatest gifts from God. My little miracles and joy. My mentors on patience and selflessness. My reflection. Thank you for helping me become what I have yet to be. Mommy and Daddy love you both so much.


MY BABE. My one constant inspiration for the past 23 years. For making me smile and laugh every single day -- my genuine prince, my endless bliss, my true love's kiss. The father of my children, my partner, my husband, my friend, my better half. With you, life is simply beautiful, and you complete me without any doubt. I love you.


AND JESUS. My master, my savior, redeemer, and friend. My one unfailing love. The one who forgives me for all my faults and failures, and surprises me with every good and perfect gift. The one who commands His angels to keep watch over me and over everyone I hold dear. Heaven is worth the wait knowing that my bridegroom is there.


Psa 86:12 From the bottom of my heart I thank you, dear Lord; I've never kept secret what you're up to.

No comments: