Monday, July 14, 2008

Love Affair with My Husband

During our first few months as a married couple, Doy and I lived in Ozamiz City. He worked for San Miguel Foods, Inc. and I was a little housewife who did the little house chores -- it was like playing house (on a large scale...hehe). Needless to say, those were definitely the cutest, most romantic months of my life.

Doy always got up at 5:30 am. Since he cooks much better than I, he would whip me up some breakfast and leave it in the microwave before kissing me goodbye and going to work. The food he cooked was common (bacon, eggs, hungarian sausage, fried rice, etc.), but his cooking was a work of art. Once, he set up the plate with a hotdog for an "I", the rice formed into a heart, and he arranged a long strip of bacon for the "U". At another time, he used eggs for the sun and decorated the plate using catsup. I, on the other hand, would sneak out of the room in the middle of the night to leave him a love note inside the microwave for him to see when he left my breakfast in the oven.

When I got pregnant with my firstborn four months after, I didn't have morning sickness -- well, I didn't get sick only in the morning, 'cause it was an ALL DAY thing. I would vomit almost everything I ate, and I didn't like the smell of boiling rice. Doy would cook with the bedroom door closed so I wouldn't smell anything, and for the times I was too sick to get up, he did everything for me (even the laundry). Goodness, there I was promising God to love the man and take care of him for the rest of my life, and the next thing I knew, he was taking care of me!

But that was when I realized that my husband loved me so much. He didn't complain a bit; in fact, he always came home right after work oftentimes with little things like chocolate and ice cream (and everything on the pregnant lady's wish list), and made it his goal to make me smile and laugh every single day. We didn't have much then (we didn't even own a couch), but the house was full of love.

Since Doy is so easy to live with (he doesn't fuss about a messy house and get worked up over trivial things), and since I'm not a nagger by nature (I believe in the concept of empathy and respect), my husband and I rarely fight. Come to think of it, quarrels are almost non-existent in our household. Sometimes we even need to set a quota of being able to have a misunderstanding at least once a year (you know, just so we could feel like we're a normal married couple...lol). So in 10 years of being married, we've probably fought about 10 times, too. "Fought" is not even the right term because we just turn to silent mode for a day, sleep the anger off, and by the next day we're okay and talking again. Now with the kids it's a different story -- we quarrel with them but not over them. Their father and I are always in one team and they're on the other (the poor little things hahaha). (some of you must be thinking whoa? they pick a fight with their children? duh, you'll understand that when you have your own hehe).

As a father, I don't have much to complain about. My husband helps out with the kids in everything -- from changing diapers, to giving them a bath, babysitting them when I'm not around, going out on dates with them, reading to them, putting them in bed, and praying with them. He's not perfect, but he's a league away from other fathers who will have nothing to do with child rearing.

Both being in a business and unemployed, Doy and I have more time on our hands than most married couples. We are blessed to be able to go on dates even on a daily basis. We go out to lunch/coffee or watch movies any time we want to. And when the kids and I are at the house, my husband rarely comes home late. He leaves at 6am to take the kids to school, and he's back in the house by 2 or 3 pm after he picks up Miguel. He's only out late when he has an airsoft team meeting or when he has a reunion with classmates. I asked him teasingly years back, "Babe, you still love me?" And he replied, "You'll know if I'm not happy with you -- and that's when I don't come home anymore." Okay, so if he comes home early each day, then that speaks for itself. So far, so good :)

In my previous blog, I've said that while I waited for him for 12 years, I cried almost half the time. But for these past 10 years, everythings just been so beautiful with my husband that I think I haven't shed a tear (well, not caused by him anyway). So i celebrate this man's life and love, and I must say that God has been so generous for giving him to me. I could never ask for a better partner, lover, and friend.

Thanks, babe, for being you. You have made my life complete, so complete in fact that I'd still choose you over David Cook and David Caruso any day. I love you.

Psa 16:2 I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; all the good things I have come from you."

No comments: