Monday, July 28, 2008

The Sweetest Word

A few weeks ago, I sent my husband a message via text. It was actually a question (which was related to a problem). If you have read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus", then you'd know that even when women just want to share their mind about something, men misunderstand it as a signal that you want things fixed for you.

Thus came a series of replies from him that began with "Is this about....?" and "This is what I've been warning you would happen..." blah blah blah.

Okay -- hmmm. So I texted him back, "Babe, I just asked you a question. I didn't ask you to save the world or solve this problem. We lose if we let this affect our relationship."

I was prepared to get a retaliation of some kind. A text that would perhaps state "I'm the man here," or "I'm older than you so you should listen to me," or "I'm the king of the world" (so, I'm a bit exaggerating).

But when my phone beeped, he had sent only one word -- the word every woman wants to hear from her man -- "Sorry." I smiled, and then I almost cried. It touched me that my husband did not have an overbearing masculine ego that would incapacitate him from understanding or empathizing with his wife.

To apologize may make you feel small and weak, but to me, my husband's apology made him bigger and stronger in my eyes.

Pro 18:12 Pride leads to destruction; humility leads to honor.

No comments: